NEVER assume your health plan provides coverage when you travel internationally.
Understand your risks. Not sure? Read the FAQs below!
Affordable coverage from around $5 per day!
- $1,000,000 Emergency Medical Evacuation
- $150,000 International Medical Health coverage
- Trip cancellation, delay and interruption
- COVID-19 health and quarantine coverage
- Underwritten by Nationwide®
Affordable Peace of Mind for the International Traveler from $5 per day
The world of travel insurance can be confusing. Too many choices with plans that offer inadequate coverage for health and safety emergencies or are simply too complex or expensive.
At TravelCare, we've done the work for you. You can buy with the confidence that comes from TravelCare's over 20 years of experience in travel medicine and our relationship with one of the most trusted brands in insurance, Nationwide®. By combining the strength of TravelCare's experience with Nationwide's financial strength, together we offer unparalleled peace of mind for the International traveler.
Frequently Asked Questions
General Questions (16)
All you need to know to understand why you should never leave the U.S. without a TravelCare protection plan.
- Many U.S. health plans do not provide adequate – if any – coverage overseas.
- U.S. health plans generally do not cover emergency evacuations, which can cost you up to $200,000 or more, depending upon your circumstance and location.
- Medicare does not provide coverage for hospital or medical costs outside the United States (except in rare emergency circumstances on our borders with Canada and Mexico) or emergency evacuations.
Yes. If medical treatment or evacuation is necessary for an insured with COVID-19 during their trip, the plan covers related expenses. Make sure to purchase both the TravelCare evacuation plan and the optional medical plan to cover both evacuation and medical expenses.
It is highly unlikely that your regular medical plan will:
- know the best place to get treatment in your foreign location;
- pay a hospital in advance if necessary to assure your admission or treatment;
- immediately speak with your treating doctor in his/her language to assess your condition, your treatment plans, and their ability to provide appropriate care;
- pay tens (or even hundreds) of thousands of dollars to evacuate you to a higher level of care if you cannot receive adequate care where you are;
- accept medical records in a foreign language or pay claims in foreign currencies;
- be available 24/7 to receive calls to assist you and advocate for you in any language.
Most people need emergency travel assistance and evacuation services, and Travel Medical insurance, to get proper protection – even if they have great health coverage here in the U.S.
United Healthcare Global is a global medical, safety and security travel assistance company that delivers:
- a fully integrated solution focused on prevention, intervention and response
- a world-class, worldwide assistance infrastructure
- first-world standards of primary and emergency medical care in remote and hazardous locations
- a strengthened global network of practicing medical specialists and resources
- robust medical, safety and security protocols
- emergency medical and security evacuation and crisis response capabilities
- extensive travel intelligence, insurance and protection services
- specialized technical and operational health and safety expertise
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the U.S. and is rated A+ by both A.M. Best and Standard & Poor's. The company provides customers a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto insurance, motorcycle, boat, homeowners, pet, life insurance, farm, commercial insurance, annuities, mortgages, mutual funds, public and private sector retirement plans, long-term savings plans and specialty health services.
Questions About the Plan (11)
Answers to the most common TravelCare plan questions are described below. More plan questions? Call (866) 223-2835 option 4. (M-F 8:30AM to 5:00PM EST)
For over twenty years, major Corporations, Hospitals, University Health Centers, Government Agencies and Travel Clinics have relied on TravelCare's travel medicine software and content to counsel their patients and to ensure their wellbeing when traveling internationally. Over the years, hundreds of thousands of travelers have been helped by the expertise of TravelCare and our travel medical professional customers.
As a natural extension of our health and safety expertise, it became increasingly apparent that we also needed to make it easier for the medical community to convey the importance of securing Emergency Evacuation services and Travel Medical Insurance to ensure that our travelers are not left:
- stranded without access to appropriate resources in the event of a medical or security emergency, or
- unable to secure medical treatment or admission to a hospital because their primary insurance at home does not provide adequate coverage or services when overseas
Sure, in plain English, here's a summary of what TravelCare plans cover:
If you need to be evacuated for emergency medical reasons, the Emergency Assistance Services will make all the arrangements and cover the costs of transporting you with appropriate medical supervision to the nearest appropriate medical facility and/or taking you home. Costs for air ambulance services can run over $200,000 depending upon your location and circumstance.
In addition, if you need to be evacuated for political or emergency security reasons, the Emergency Assistance Services will make all the arrangements and cover the costs up to $100,000 to transport you in a secure fashion to the nearest safe place, and when conditions allow, then return you back to your point of origin or take you home.
There are also a variety of additional services included and available 24/7 that help you with the kind of problems international travelers often experience. Click here for Complete Emergency Assistance Service details.
When you purchase the optional Travel Medical Insurance, it will make advance payment arrangements to get you into the best foreign hospital in your locale (generally foreign facilities will not agree to provide care, then bill your insurance at home), and then pay your foreign hospital and medical expenses directly, up to $500,000. They deal with the medical records in foreign languages, the foreign currencies, etc., and you have no deductibles or co-pays. Click here for Complete Travel Medical Insurance details including plan maximums based on your age at time of purchase.
Yes. Please click here for a complete listing of the Emergency Evacuation Service exclusions and limitations, and all other terms and conditions of the coverage. You can also call TravelCare's insurance plan administrator, at (800) 753 1000 option 6 - Monday to Friday between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm Eastern Time.
Yes. Please click here for a complete listing of the Travel Medical Insurance exclusions and limitations, and all other terms and conditions of the coverage. You can also call TravelCare's insurance plan administrator, at (866) 223-2835 option 4. (M-F 8:30AM to 5:00PM EST)
All plans underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and Affiliated Companies, Columbus, OH ("Nationwide®)
EMERGENCY EVACUATION PLAN - Schedule of Benefits (purchased first)
see full plan details
|COVERAGES||MAXIMUM BENEFIT PER PERSON PER TRIP|
|Emergency Medical Evacuation||$1,000,000|
|Return Unattended Vehicle||$1,000|
|Repatriation of Remains||$1,000,000|
|Non-Medical Emergency Transportation (Security)||$100,000|
UPGRADE PLAN - Schedule of Benefits (added as upgrade to Emergency Evacuation Plan)
see full plan details
|COVERAGES||MAXIMUM BENEFIT PER PERSON PER TRIP|
|Emergency Accident and Sickness Medical Expense||$150,000|
|Trip Delay||$3,000 ($200 per day)|
|Accidental Death & Dismemberment - Common Carrier (Air Only) - Principal Sum||$25,000|
|Baggage/Personal Effects||$500 (per article $250)|